Reading progress update: I've read 15%.

Red Rising - Pierce Brown

I have a few problems with this book for now. One is that I can't decide if I like it or not. The story seems interesting, but I'm not liking the main character, Darrow. I can't put my finger on why.

My other problem is the way the world is described. There are a lot of words that seem to be specific to this world, and I have to guess what they mean. Same with things. It's not always clear though.

Often in world that are not our own they try to resolve the problem of world-specific items through different means. One way is to have the world as similar to ours as it can be, then the author has to explain very few things. Second resolution is that the main character is not of that world, so they have everything explained to them. The third is that they have lived in one part of that world, and then travel to another part, where a lot of things are new. In the book, they aren't really explained. You sort of have to guess.

One such instance is the "tumbler". At first I had no clue what it was. So far, I'm still not sure. I'm thinking some sort of a vehicle, but the picture in my mind is fuzzy, and is trying to make up something that is part car, part truck, part something I must have seen in a sci-fi movie. However, it could be something totally different.