Sadly, this series has been declining for a while

Deadlocked - Charlaine Harris

Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse #12) by Charlaine Harris

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It was an okay book. It was since about the 8th part of this series where the books were not that great anymore. Of course, you can't expect the vampire version of Lord of the Rings from this series, it's meant to be more fun. But it hasn't been that much fun either. I am interested in the characters and their lives. Like how Tara's marriage is going, what Eric is doing, but the story is just not that exciting anymore. There was a bit of a mystery element, which was good. A murder. However, the solution felt a bit forced. Through reading this, I felt like I was checking up on people on Facebook, that I haven't seen for a while. You know, you check who got married, had a baby, went on a trip. Overall though, it's more about being curious, than caring about any of it. Though perhaps it's not the story, it's Sookie. She doesn't really care either. It's like she's cutting herself off of life. Without much of a spoiler, she goes to get her Will settled, and when she comes out, it's with a resignation of the finality of her life. She feels jaded.

Another thing that I've been feeling in the past few books of the series is that the story is fractured. There are lots of things going on all at once, and it doesn't flow like it used to. Maybe it's because there are so many characters now, keeping tabs on all of them is getting hard. It would be better to write a couple out of the story and just focus on fewer characters. I couldn't remember half of the people in the book.

I heard the next book is going to be the last one in the series. I'm glad. It's time.