Day 17: Favourite quote from my favourite book

The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

The funny thing is, my favourite quotes are not from my favourite books. They are from books that I liked, but I wouldn't call them my favourites. I'm not a quoting person. Generally I have a problem with remembering things word for word. I don't see much of a wisdom in it either. However, the below two things just captured my imagination.

"...until the day when God deigns to unveil the future to mankind, all human wisdom is contained in these two words: 'wait' and 'hope'!"

- Edmond Dantés, The Count of Monte Christo

I'm not a religious person, but I like the wisdom in that quote. To me it's about not knowing what is in the future, but trying to operate with the expectation that it's going to be good. It's hard for me, because I've had a lot of bad things that happened in my life. I'm generally not a positive person to begin with, so those things just reaffirmed my dark outlook on life. However, when I think of that quote, I always try to be more positive, no matter how hard it is.

The second books, Brave New World, I didn't cite here for a quote exactly. It's more of a concept that I sometimes use as a reference. In the book people are made and conditioned to be at different levels of society, and subdued by the drug soma. The different levels are marked from Alpha to Epsilon. Epsilons are the drone workers. They are not intelligent, they are the sheep, the "slaves" of society. They don't know how bad their life is though. They are made in a way to like being Epsilons. That is where something I say comes from: "Someone has to be an Epsilon". It's not a nice thing to say, I know. I may not always be a nice person. However, there are just generally people who can be stupid often. Who use alcohol and other drugs to cloud their minds, to not care about anything, who don't seem to care about anything. These people who degrade themselves, who don't control their lives to the smallest bit, just act as drones. Or just not very smart people.